Anyone who is familiar with camping will know that it can sometimes be a very uncomfortable experience. One problem that you’ll suffer from is the lack of heating. If you are camping and the temperature currently drops, you might be left shivering and unable to sleep.
This is where electrical hookups come into play. The best way to get around this issue is by having an electric hook-up installed in your tent. This means that you have access to power at all times. You won’t need to worry about running out of battery or gas when the sun goes down.
There are many reasons why you should consider getting an electrical hookup for your tent. It will not only provide your family with warmth, but you will also be able to use it to cook food. This will help you bring your camping into the twenty-first century.
What Is A Camping Electrical Hook-Up?
An electrical hookup is simply a system that allows you to connect your generator to a power source. This may be through a wall socket or even a portable generator. The most common type of electrical hookup is known as a “power bar”.
These are usually found on campsites and they are easy to install. They consist of two bars that run across the top of your tent. Each bar has a plug on one end and a switch on the other.
When you turn on the switch, the plug connects to the power source. You then just need to plug any appliances you want into the plug.
You’ll only need to connect small appliances and it does not have the same power voltage as your house, for example. However, if you do plan on using larger appliances such as heaters, you will need to invest in a more powerful electrical hookup.
You’ll have to make sure that your power lead and the voltage will match the power unit that you’ll have in your tent. For instance, if you’re going to use a 12v power supply, you’ll need to ensure that your power lead matches this.
There are some people who believe that having electricity in their tent will be dangerous, however, there is some dispute about this and if you take extra care, then there’s no reason why this setup cannot be safe for you and your family. We’ll go into this more in-depth later in the article.
The electrical hook-up will be very important to use not just for you, but for the rest of the campsite. Your neighbors will appreciate having a reliable source of power and if you have children, they will love being able to watch television without worrying about whether or not they will be able to charge their toys.
What Appliances Can Your Electrical Device Charge?
If you’ve got an electrical hookup in your tent, you’ll be able to charge anything that uses batteries or has a USB port. This includes phones, tablets, cameras, laptops, and so much more.
When you’re camping, you’ll find that you often don’t have a lot of space to store things. Having an electrical hookup in the tent will mean that you can charge plenty of devices that will make your tent seem exactly the same as your home!
Here is a list of things that your electric hook-up will be able to power:
- Tent heater – if you have a tent heater, then your electrical hook-up will be the perfect method of keeping warm during the winter months. This is also good to have as a backup, as we all know that during the winter months it can be hard to maintain the right temperature.
- Hair Dryer – another useful appliance that you’ll be able to keep powered up with an electrical hookup. If you’re planning on spending time outdoors, then you’ll need to dry your hair before heading out. This is especially true when you’re swimming, as you might want to dry your hair quickly.
- Cooler or small fridges – these are great for storing food while you’re away from home. You can even bring along a few drinks, which will help you stay hydrated.
- Headphones – if you’re listening to music whilst you’re camping, then you’ll definitely want to have a way of powering them up. As well as headphones, you can also use your electrical hookup to charge your mobile phone.
- Laptop – if you’re working on something at the campsite, then you’ll want to be able to access the internet. An electrical hookup will allow you to do this easily.
- Camera – if you’re taking photos at the campsite, then you’ll need a way of charging your camera. A portable battery charger will work perfectly here.
- Tablets/Smart Phones – if you’re using your tablet or smartphone to read books or play games, then you’ll need an electrical hookup to keep everything charged up.
- Flashlight – if you’re going to be camping in the dark, then you’ll need your flashlight to get around safely. You could also use your flashlight to light up areas where you’re cooking or doing other activities.
- Portable speaker – if you’re enjoying some music at night, then you’ll want a way of powering up your speakers. You’ll also need one if you’re planning on playing any games or watching movies.
- Power bank – if you’re bringing along lots of electronics, then you’ll want somewhere safe to store them. A power bank is a great option for this.
- Solar panels – if you’re going off grid, then you’ll need solar panels to provide you with energy. These can be used to charge up your gadgets and keep them running.
- Medical equipment – if you’re traveling abroad, then you’ll probably need medical equipment such as a blood pressure monitor or thermometer. It’s important to remember that you should always carry your own medical kit, so having a way of powering up these items will ensure that they continue to function properly.
- Toaster – if you’re planning on making toast every morning, then you’ll need electricity to keep your bread hot.
- Microwave oven – if you’re planning to cook meals at the campsite, you’ll need a microwave oven. They’re very handy for heating up leftovers, reheating food, and generally speeding up meal preparation.
- Grill – if you’re planning outdoor grilling, then you’ll need some sort of electrical hookup to keep your grill powered up.
Where Can You Find An Electrical Supply At Your Campsite?
You may not think it would be possible to find an electrical supply at your local campsite, but we’ve found that many sites offer their guests the chance to connect to mains electricity. Many sites will include a communal area with sockets for charging devices like phones and tablets.
Some sites even offer electric showers, meaning that you won’t have to worry about washing yourself with chemical-filled water. If none of these options are available, there are still ways that you can keep your gadgets powered up while you’re away from home.
They have wooden posts called ‘pedestals’, which you can use to hook up your electrical power supply. However, this will not fit just any plug. You have to make sure that your lead matches up with your plug socket.
How Do You Know Which Sockets Are Safe For Charging Gadgets?
The first thing you should check when looking for an electrical socket is whether it’s marked “for recharging only”. This means that it’s safe for connecting devices to recharge, but not for plugging into a wall outlet.
If you see a sign saying “For charging only”, then you know that it’s safe to connect your gadgets to this socket. However, don’t assume that all sockets labeled “For charging” are safe. Some people have been known to plug into sockets that say “For charging only” without realizing what they were doing.
It’s best to ask someone before plugging anything into the socket, especially if you’re unsure of its safety.
What About The Safety Of Plugging In While Traveling Abroad?
When traveling abroad, you might be worried about the safety of using electrical outlets. There are several things you can do to reduce the risk of getting electrocuted.
First of all, avoid using extension cords. These are usually made out of thin wire, which makes them more likely to get damaged by being plugged into a socket. Instead, try to use a proper power strip.
Secondly, take care when plugging in appliances. Make sure that you unplug everything before leaving your tent Also, never leave appliances plugged in overnight.
Finally, make sure that you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Most manufacturers provide information on how to safely charge their products.
Are Electrical Hook-Ups For Your Tent Safe?
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to consider installing an electrical hook-up in your tent. It could save you money, help you stay connected to friends and family back home, or simply allow you to enjoy camping in style.
However, there are also some downsides to having one. For example, it can increase the cost of your trip. It can also pose a fire hazard if you forget to turn off your stove.
So, if you decide to install an electrical hook-up, make sure that you choose a site that offers the right kind of socket. Otherwise, you’ll end up spending time trying to figure out where to plug in your device.
Find a lead that will not provide any trip hazards. You won’t want anyone to trip over your extension cord and cause the power to go out.
This is especially true if you are cooking food. Avoid using extension cords, as they may cause damage to your tent, pulling the whole thing down.
Also, make sure that you read the instructions provided by the company that manufactured your appliance. They will tell you how to properly use your product.
If you are going to camp, you need to understand these risks so that you can protect yourself from them.
Why Should You Use Electrical Hook-Ups When Camping?
There are many reasons why certain people might not want to go camping without electrical items and a power supply. Here are a just a few:
- People who enjoy comfort – If you like sleeping in a warm bed at night, then you should probably invest in a good mattress. Likewise, if you enjoy eating hot meals while relaxing with your tablet device, then you will certainly want to invest in a power supply. There might be people who might not like to come out camping at all if they do not have any electricity. One method of enticing them into the great outdoors might be to include a power supply.
- People who enjoy the convenience – If you like taking advantage of modern conveniences such as Wi-Fi, then you will definitely appreciate having access to a power supply.
- People who enjoy security – Many people feel safer knowing that they have a way of keeping themselves charged up. With this in mind, you will find that most campsites offer electrical outlets.
- Gadgets – there are some people who might need to keep a hold of their gadgets, especially if they have an important call that they need to take.
- Medical devices – There are many medical devices that require electricity to operate. These devices include heart monitors, defibrillators, and even pacemakers.
- Cooking appliances – Some people love to cook outside. It will surely not be possible to rustle up some beans or pork chops with a stove heater or a small portable grill. However, you should always make sure to cook this stuff outside your tent to prevent smoke and possible fire damage.
- Entertainment – If you plan on enjoying music, movies, or games, then you will need a power source.
- Communication – If you are planning on staying in touch with loved ones back home, then you will also need a power source. Even if you only plan on making one phone call, you will still need a power source. The same goes for sending emails.
- Playing console games – if there is one method of keeping the kids entertained and that’s by playing computer games. A power supply will ensure that the children get what they want.
- Lighting – If you plan on spending time reading books or doing other activities inside your tent, then you will need lighting.
What Issues Are There With Electrical Hook-Ups?
One thing that you need to know about hookups is that they are not 100% safe. This means that there are some issues that could arise when using them. Here are some of the problems that you may encounter:
- Power surges – Power surges can cause problems with electronic equipment. This can cause a blackout in your tent, but it can also cause sparks, which could lead to fires.
- Fire hazards – When using a generator, it is very easy for a spark to occur. Sparks can ignite flammable materials, which can result in a fire.
- Noise pollution – Generators produce noise. This can be annoying, especially if you are trying to sleep.
- Pollution – Some generators use fuel as well as electricity, which generates waste products. These waste products can pollute the environment.
- Safety concerns – You never know when something bad might happen. For example, a lightning strike can cause a fire.
- Campsites That Prohibit Electricity – Some campsites that you visit might not let you in if you are going to use electricity. You should always make sure to check the rules and regulations of your campsite before you go there.
- Damage to electrical devices – If you do not maintain your electric device properly, then it can break down. This can cost you money, so you should always try to keep your devices clean and well maintained. If you also have the incorrect voltage, then it might cause your device to short out.
- High costs – Using a generator can be expensive. You have to buy fuel and pay for electricity.
- Excessive heat – The heat from a generator can be too much for some people, especially if you are using one in close confines. If you have a small tent, we would advise against using electricity entirely.
How Can You Prevent Issues With Your Electrical Hook-Ups?
If you want to avoid all these issues, then you should consider buying a solar panel. Solar panels generate their own energy through the sun’s rays. They are usually placed on top of your tent and work best during the day.
Solar panels are more efficient than generators because they don’t require fuel. However, they are not as powerful as generators. Therefore, they cannot provide enough power to run most electronics.
Check Voltage Type
Before purchasing an electrical hook-up, you should first determine whether you need a 12v or 24v system. Most tents only have 12v outlets, so you will need a 12v system.
You should also look at the amps that your outlet provides. A good number is between 15 and 20 amps.
Make Sure The Campsite Uses Electricity
Some campsites prohibit electricity usage. Make sure that you read any rules and regulations carefully before you purchase your camping gear.
Use Properly Sized Outlets
Most campers use outlets that are too big for their needs. It is better to use smaller outlets because this way, you won’t overload them.
Don’t Use Too Many Electronics
It is important to remember that too many electronics can overheat and even catch fire. Keep your electronics to a minimum.
Keep Your Devices Clean
Your devices can get dirty easily. Try to clean them regularly so that they last longer. Dust and other grime could be the reason why your electrical circuits are shorting out. Make sure that you have gotten into all the crevices and that the electricity is turned off before you start cleaning!
How Can You Find Out If A Campsite Offers You Electrical Hookups?
If you plan to stay at a particular campsite, you should ask about its electrical hook-up policy. You should also ask if you can bring your own generator. If you are unsure, then you should call the site manager and ask him/her.
If you are planning to travel with your family, then you should know what type of campsite you are visiting. You should also find out if they allow generators.
You can also check their website to find out what the policy is on electrical hook-ups. You’ll need to look for the following information when you are browsing the website of your campsite.
- The level of the campsite – Is it a low-cost campsite or a luxury campsite? Campsites are often divided into primitive, premium and standard campsites.
- What amenities do they offer? – Do they offer showers, laundry facilities, Wi-Fi, etc.? This will definitely determine whether or not you’ll have electricity available. If a campsite’s website says that you can use an electrical device, then they’ll probably have a hook-up point.
- Icons – if you see an icon that depicts a tent with an electrical socket, then you can be certain that there’s an electrical socket in the vicinity.
How Other Ways Can You Get Power At A Campsite?
There are some ways that you can generate your own electricity at a campsite. For example, you can buy a solar panel from Walmart or Amazon. These products usually cost around $50-$100.
Another option would be to buy a portable power generator. Portable generators are great because you don’t have to worry about where you’re going to plug them in. They come with a built-in battery which allows you to charge your phone, tablet, laptop, etc.
Another option would be to use a car charger. Car chargers work by using the engine as a source of power. However, these units aren’t very powerful.
What Are The Advantages Of Having An Electric Hook-Up Point?
Having an electric hook-up point is convenient. When you are camping, you don’t want to waste time trying to figure out how to connect your devices to the outlet.
Having an electric hook-up means that you won’t have to carry extra batteries. Batteries are heavy, bulky and inconvenient. It’s also easy to set up. All you need to do is turn on the switch and wait for the light to go green.
The disadvantages of having an electric hook-up include:
- It’s expensive.
- You may end up paying more than you expected.
- There might be restrictions on the number of appliances that you can use.
- You may have to pay for extra services like charging stations.
Shopping For An Electrical Hook-Up
When shopping for an electrical hook-up, make sure that you get one that has enough outlets. Most people think that they only need one outlet, but this isn’t true. You should always purchase an electrical hook-up that has two or three outlets.
If you plan to camp in a tent, then you’ll need an electrical hook-up. In addition to the outlets, you’ll also need a surge protector. Surge protectors help prevent damage to your electronic equipment.
You’ll also need to check whether your cord is long enough. You won’t want an electrical cable that is taught, otherwise, this will lead to tripping hazards as well as your power becoming unhooked.
You’ll also need to make sure that your cable is waterproof, especially around the plug itself. You’ll always need to be aware of grit and dirt that can get into the plug socket and really hamper its ability to function.
How To Prep Before Using Your Electrical Hook-Up
Before you start using your electrical hook-up, it’s important that you prepare yourself. Make sure that you know what kind of appliances you can use.
For instance, if you’re planning on using a microwave oven, then you’ll need to ensure that there is no water inside. If there is any moisture, then the microwave could short circuit. This could cause serious damage to your appliance.
Make sure that you know exactly what kind of appliances you’re allowed to use. Some states allow you to use microwaves, while others prohibit their use.
Make sure that you have the right type of plug. There are 2 different types of plug: 30 amp and 50 amp.
30 amp plugs are used for small appliances such as hair dryers, irons, blenders, etc. These plugs are usually found at campsites. They usually have 3 prongs.
50 amp plugs are used for large appliances like stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. These plugs usually have 4 prongs.
What Kinds Of Appliances Can Be Used With A 50 Amp Plug?
50 amp plugs are designed for larger appliances. However, some smaller appliances can still work with them.
- Air conditioners
- Electric heaters
- Water coolers
- Stove top ranges
- Washing machine
- Microwave ovens
Make Sure You Have All The Components For Your Electrical Hook-Up
It’s important that you have all the components necessary for your electrical hook-up before you leave home.
- The plug
- Surge protector
- Extension cords
You’ll need to be sure that the plugs that you have brought with you are compatible with the electricity that the campsites provide. You can do this by contacting the campsite before you leave to see which plug socket you’ll have at your wooden post.
Make sure that your hook-up device matches the electrical appliances that you’ll be using. In addition, you’ll need extension cords. These are essential because they enable you to connect your devices to each other.
There are many different types of extension cords available. It’s important that you choose the appropriate length for your needs. If you plan on having more than one person working on your camping project, then you’ll probably need multiple extension cords.
You should never overload your extension cords. Doing so could result in fire or electrocution.
Make Sure Your Extension Cords Are Functioning
When you’re setting up your campground, it’s important that your extension cords are functioning correctly.
Check your extension cords regularly. If they look damaged or frayed, then replace them immediately.
Ensure That Your Extension Cord Is Not Too Short
Your extension cord should not be too short. It should reach from where you’re going to plug into the wall socket to where you want to plug in your electrical devices in your tent.
Do not use extension cords that are shorter than 6 feet.
Ensure That You Have Enough Power
The power supply at most campsites will only provide enough power for 1 outlet. Therefore, you’ll need to make sure that you have enough outlets.
Also, ensure that you have enough power sockets. This is especially true if you have a lot of electrical equipment.
Testing Your Electrical Hook-Up
Before leaving home, test your electric hook-up to ensure that everything works properly.
Plug in any appliance that you intend to use while you’re away. Make sure that the appliance works and that there are no problems.
After you’ve tested your electric hook-up, you can relax knowing that you won’t have any problems when you arrive at your campsite.
How To Test Your Electrical Hook-Up At The Campsite
To check whether your electric hook-up is working, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power in your tent unit.
- Make sure that you connect the lead first. You don’t want to be trailing your lead back to the tent when it is live. This will result in your lead becoming detached.
- Plug in your extension cord.
- Check that the plug has been connected to the correct socket.
- Check that your extension cord is plugged into the socket.
- Turn on your electrical devices.
- Leave your electrical devices running until you hear a click.
- Remove the extension cord and turn off the power.
- Repeat Steps 2 through 8 until all your electrical devices work.
- If your extension cord does not work, then contact the site manager. They may be able to help you find another extension cord that works.
- If you still cannot get your electrical hook-up to work, contact the site manager.
Other Things You Should Know About Electrical Hook-Ups
There are other things you should know about electrical hook-ups. Always unplug your appliances before you leave. Leaving appliances plugged in will drain the battery life of your device.
Never use extension cords as permanent solutions. Instead, use portable generators. These are much more efficient. If you plan to use a generator, then you should also consider buying some extra batteries.
You should always keep your extension cords out of children’s reach. Children can easily become injured by touching or playing with extension cords.
You should also never cut extension cords. Doing so could cause a fire.
Our Final Say
We hope that our guide to electrical hook-ups has helped you to decide which are the best for your needs. You’ll need to make sure that you’ll definitely want to use one of these units because of purchasing the right equipment.
Remember to also check that the campsite is running electricity before you bring all your electrical devices.